Tuesday, May 15, 2012

General Surgeon Appt

I had an appointment with another general surgeon to see if he had more insight into the latest and greatest techniques, ideas, referrals...  I feel like I may have wasted my time and money.  I basically just heard the same things as my first general surgeon appointment.  I should have used that time and money towards another plastic surgeon interview.  That's where the aesthetics come into play, where there may be a little different technique used.


I was thinking though, about my plastic surgeon visit in March.  I was surprised to see that expanders actually are about half of "implant" material and then on top is a loose bag space where they are filled.  (There are probably other types of expanders, but this is the kind I saw.)  So you start with some volume from the "implant" material and slowly fill each visit to expand until the desired size.  I previously thought the expander was just an empty plastic bag of sorts.  There is a metal port at the top of the empty bag part where the physician can push the needle in to fill the bag.  He finds that port with a magnet, since the expander port can't be seen under the breast tissue. 


I believe I remember reading from several people that when they switch the filled expander for the implant, the expander looked fuller than the resulting implant.  Something to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment