Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ooph/Hyst Post Care

Okay, I'm going to compile all of the advice that I've found to care for yourself after a hysterectomy/oophrectomy:

-Drink lots of water and hydrate yourself.  Someone even mentioned something about drinking lots of water vitamins?

-After you bathe, don't towel dry, but apply baby lotion or oils and air dry.  Then use creams or lotions to keep your skin hydrated.

-Take a Calcium and Vit D supplement

-Someone said that small amounts of estrogen are not harmful, even with the BRCA genes.  She is on the patch Climara and started right after surgery with .1 dose.  After 4 months, dropped down to half that.  (Not sure about being able to be on estrogen, since many cancers are "fed" by estrogen)

-Exercise

-Possibly need vaginal gels/lubricants for intercourse

-My dear friend shared: "I visited with my sister yesterday (the one who just had a hysterectomy) and she said the most painful thing was the first bowl movement, ahhh, I remember that too. So make sure you are eating high fiber and taking some type of stool softener afterwards. The doctors rarely tell you about this, it take some time to get your bowels going again so you don't want to do much pushing :). Also I have a pillow for you that I used after my surgery that helped a lot. Whenever you sit up you put the pillow on your belly for support."

No comments:

Post a Comment