Monday, January 14, 2013

Breast MRI Imaging pre-surgery

Thursday was my breast MRI that Dr. Reading, my general surgeon, ordered to make sure there were no "surprises" before my preventative mastectomy next week.  (I can't believe it's next week already!)
I have never had an MRI before and it was an interesting process...including a needle stick.

So, I went to Intermountain Medical and checked in on the computer, took a pager and had a seat in the waiting room.  I was buzzed and was processed through.  It kind of hurt to hand over my credit card to pay the $1600 due for the MRI.  I think it cost over $2000, but perhaps because I have a high deductible, they give me a discount. I should be hitting my deductible by the end of the month with the upcoming surgery.  As I handed over my credit card, I thought about an earlier text from my husband:

Me: IMC called and said the MRI will be $1600.  Sorry that I'm costing so much.
Dan: Don't worry about it, Babe.  Your love is priceless to me!

Love that guy!

When I was called back, I was given pants and a hospital gown to change into.  I had to remove all metal from my body.  The MRI tech was really nice.  She said she's been doing MRIs for 10 years now.  We were talking and I mentioned she must have seen a lot of "boobies" after 10 years.  She said that the techs often comment to each other on which physicians seem to do the best work.  I asked what her opinion is of Dr. Ferguson's work.  She told me she thought that he does a really good job, so I was encouraged.  She seemed sincere.

The tech started an IV into my arm so she could inject a contrast to be able to image my breasts.  I laid on my belly on a narrow table that stuck out from the MRI time-warp-looking-portal-spinner machine.  There was a long piece where I rested my sternum, and then there was a lack of table where my breasts would hang down on either side.  The tech said that this position allows more breast than chest to be imaged.  I rested my arms above my head  The bed retracted into the big cylinder ...and I HELD STILL... for about a half an hour or so.  The machine made loud banging noises and beeping patterns.  At moments, the tech would speak to me through some speaker inside the MRI machine, "You're doing great.  Now there will be a 2 minute sequence."

After I was transported out of the MRI machine, I asked the tech if she would snap a photo of me on my phone.  She stood far outside the MRI room.  I asked her to come a little closer...and she reminded me that no metal is allowed in the room and that my phone would be messed up if it got closer to the machine.

Now to find out the results....hope that I'm clear!

1 comment:

  1. Brings back memories!!! You're going to do great!! This will all be behind you very soon and you will feel such a relief and empowerment. We must think the same cause I said basically the same thing to my husband about costing too much. He said that was the least of his worries. Seems really weird that my 1 year out of surgery date is coming fast!! Good luck, I know you will do great!
    Marge

    ReplyDelete