Friday, February 10, 2012

Questions...

What if I get a mastectomy and years later I still get cancer?
* What if? What if? What if I get hit by a bus when I'm crossing the street? I am choosing to do what I can to reduce my risk of cancer. Yes, breast cancer is 99% curable, but I don't want to deal with the chemo and radiation, lymphedema and side-effects of other cancer drugs. I want to prevent cancer. Sometimes it seems absurd that I'm considering this procedure, but it's the most effective way to reduce my risk.
So, what if? What if? I'll be sure to wear a yellow reflectable vest whenever I leave home too... to avoid the busses.
For some women is this a justified "excuse" to get implants?
*Is that even a nice question to ask? Obviously these perky babies would come with a 5" incision across each one or scars somewhere, maybe a tatooed areola and recreated nipple, all without sensation and feeling... but is there a chance that all of these undesirables are somehow balanced with the opportunity of full, perky girls?
This is a question I have to ask myself. I know that I wouldn't be having a conversation with mself about implants if they didn't come with the promise of being cancer-free-almost. Period.
I don't look forward to scars and visible implant ripples under my skin, and more than that I don't look forward to upkeep...future implant swap surgeries and touch-up procedures.
If I wasn't BRCA2 positive and dealing with my risks, would I be grateful each day for my "working boobs", that will sag and shrink and lose their perky beauty of former days?

What if there is a less invasive procedure 5 years from now, and I jumped the gun?
*Then, what if I got cancer within those 5 years? Silly to keep asking these what if questions. But that doesn't mean they are whirling around up there in my head. Write them down, and they sort of disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment