Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Khouri Method

I noticed a girl on the FORCE message boards posted that she was going to have her mastectomy and then have reconstruction using the Khouri Method. I had to research it to find out what it was.

http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/reconstruction/after-mastectomy-miami.html

Brava system (vacuum bra) is placed over removed breast area. External expansion of the breast occurs. Your own fat is injected to fill new void. Expansion continues to occur. More fat is added to enlarge the breast.
BRAVA system is placed over removed breast area. Extenal expansion of the breast occurs. Your own fat is injected to fill a new void.


Expansion continues to occur. More fat is added to enlarge the breast.

This method would reconstruct me and I don't have to worry about future implant surgeries. I don't have to have a tummy tuck scar from a FLAP. It seems like a great procedure.

I look forward to a visit with the plastic surgeon in Salt Lake City that performs this type of procedure. The original Dr. Khouri performs this procedure he pioneered at his clinic in Miami. I am grateful there is a surgeon in Salt Lake who performs this method.

I want to learn more about it and see if it is an option for me. Even though I'm thin, it seems that the physician can find enough fat to fill the breast area. I wonder what the BRAVA/Khouri method reconstructed breasts look like after many years...

Lots of questions, but I'm grateful I found out about it. It may even be the answer to my mother's reconstruction issues (high platelets prevent her from invasive surgeries like expanders and implants).

No comments:

Post a Comment