Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Surgery set to go for Mom

My mom went to see Dr. Ferguson today about possibly having her breasts reconstructed using the Khouri method. She tried reconstruction years ago, but after some serious complications and platelet issues, she gave up and sort of resolved herself to the fact that she would never be able to have reconstructed breasts.

When I learned about this fat transfer technique, I thought for sure it might be an option for my mom...after today's visit....looks like she's a good candidate.

It sort of broke my heart to see Mom's excitement as she told me about the possibility of getting her breasts reconstructed. For so long, she just supressed her disappointment and acted like boobs were no big deal. You have to cope somehow.

So the surgery she has lined up next month is for a revision of the original "botch job", as she calls it. They need align the breast properly and clean up the scars. Then after a bit of recovery, they'll go ahead and start the fat transfer procedure. She needs to wait 5 weeks between each time they do the fat transfer. They'll do at least 3 fat transfer procedures.

I'm so excited for her. I'm so glad that there is a surgeon in our area who performs this technique. Many blessings...

2 comments: