Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cystoscopy

The night spent in the hospital after my hysterectomy was the worst night of sleep I've ever had.  I had to pee SO BADLY and couldn't even come close!  I was so out of it and it was so difficult to even get to the restroom.  After several attempts of using the restroom to no avail, my bladder was so full that I felt like I was in labor.  For weeks to months after the procedure each time I used the restroom, it felt so painful.  Then after a month or so, it seemed easier and less painful.

Jump forward four or five months and then I started feeling that pain again!  I went to a urologist and he explained that it could be an infection, or it could be that my bladder is sagging due to an indirect effect of the hysterectomy.  After getting back to normal for a while, just last week...again, the same pain so I went to see the urologist again for a cycstoscopy to make sure that my bladder is structurally sound.

It was quite the experience.  It was amazing to watch the screen to be able to see inside of my own body!  The provider said that everything looked really good and that my bladder was in perfect condiion, except for visible infection.  I am so relieved that my bladder is not physically altered or effected by my prior hysterectomy.

So, I was given an antibiotic (feel much better, than you!) and an estrogen cream in hopes that consistent use of the cream will prevent future infection.  I was hessitant to use the estrogen cream, but the provider assured me that this is even more low dose than the low dose estrogen prescribed to me by Dr. Soisson, my onc gyn who performed my hysterectomy.  Dr. Soisson said that a low dose estrogen would be good for my heart health as well as help regulate my hormones.  I still haven't filled that script...worried that the estrogen can "feed" future cancers.  Just don't know what to do about that.

It's funny, every time I write about my health "issues", I feel like a little old lady.  In the Czech Republic when we would visit with people, it was the older people who were always talking about their health...their rheumatoid arthritis acting up when it was about to rain, or the other health problems they were having.  I don't really enjoy "complaining" about things, but I do want to document everything in case my girls go through any of these experiences in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment