Monday, November 5, 2012

Surgeon Visits

THE DATE IS SET!  ....end of January.  I remember when I was getting ready the morning of my hyst/ooph and I had to stop "thinking" about my surgery and physically "walk myself to the car".  It will probably be the same thing this time too.

I really do trust my general and plastic surgeon.  They have both been such good listeners, so informed, and I can tell they are detailed and confident in what they do.  I feel blessed to have them as my surgeons!

So Friday, my plastic surgeon spoke with me about what I'd like to have done.  We talked about how I am a good candidate for expanders and implants and that I don't really have a lot of fat to do the BRAVA fat grafting procedure for the size of breast that I desire in the end.  Dr. Ferguson said he expects a very nice outcome for me.  He took measurements of my breasts and showed me some pictures since I asked to see some of his work.  He also said that after the implant switch surgery and after I heal, we can see if I need to have any fat graft work to soften up hard implant lines and edges.  I was hoping that we might do the inframammary incision, but I may not get the best results with that incision.  It seems that if you are smaller breasted, the under-the-breast incision may not allow for as much expansion as the lateral incision from the areola out towards the arm.  Also, thin-skinned patients don't expand as well with the inframammary incision.  Dr Ferguson said that the scar also only allows about 80% elasticity of normal skin, so won't stretch as well.  He said that the most important thing for scarring is to use a lotion and massage the scars well (after they are healed).  That is the most effective at reducing scarring.

I met with Dr. Reading today and discussed the incision point.  She said that in trimmer patients, it is easier for her to see where the skin/fat/tissue edge is and gets right up to the blood vessles.  She will scoop out the nipple tissue as well.  She said that the nipple may scar over, but expects that I will still have nipple profile.  I will probably lose sensation in my breasts as well.  She wrote orders for my breast MRI so that we won't have any surprises before the mastectomy. 

I am so grateful for these two physicians!  I have confidence in their ability and trust them!  I am apprehensive about the unknown, but excited to reduce my risk of breast cancer.  Close to 90% down to less than 10%!  I will still need to be diligent in self screening and other screening, but will be happy knowing I have tried doing all I can do to be here for my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment