Saturday, September 22, 2012

Expanders vs One Step with Alloderm

Another question:  Would I be a good candidate for the direct to implant procedure?

Is it true that you are a one step candidate only if you want to go about the same size, slightly larger or smaller?

Is it true that you have to get expanders if you have "thin skin"?

Here is good insight from the FORCE message boards:

"Direct to implant vs expander question":

-just wondering if the information told to me by a PS was infact correct or not..... she said you cant do direct to implant (w/out expanders) unless you are going SMALLER than you already are. That direct to implant would not have as favorable results and again could only be done if you are going smaller (even with the use of alloderm) . To stay the same size or go larger you need to get expanders. All these options are WITHOUT nipple sparing. I had thought I heard of ppl staying the same size or even going larger and not doing expanders. Has anyone done this (and what did you think of the results?)
Thank you for the info!

-Originally I was going to do immediate implants but once it was determined that they were unable to spare the nipple in the cancerous side, they needed to do expanders. There just is not enough tissue there to put an implant in, particularly if you want to go larger. The skin needs to be stretched in order for the implant to fit. Hope that helps. If you were doing nipple sparing then I believe you can go somewhat larger. That is what my PS told me.

-I used the ny doctors for my one step (nipple sparing) and was able to go up about 1/cup size. I think ps who are not comfortable with the direct to implant procedure often say what your ps told you. I am 4 months out and my results are awesome.

-I did one-step, did not do NS. What they do during surgery is once the breast tissue is taken out they weight it and that gives them a place to start with implants. I know that my last appointment with the PS prior to surgery they try to measure your breasts to at least get a good idea of what size implants they need, but they do bring in more than one set to surgery. I was a C and had no desire to be any bigger after surgery and I would say I am still a C, although I don't wear a bra so not exactly sure. I have 450cc Mentor high profile implants. Don't forget there is always that chance that they might have to do expanders if your skin is too thin--I was warned about that, but the PS also knew that implants were my first choice and expanders a huge distant 2nd choice.

TOPIC "Do you like your implants?"

-I had expanders and now have had my implants for almost 3 months. Most of the time, I do LOVE them. There's a small, mostly unnoticeable divot at the top of the left one that I might do fat grafting for - but all my friends and my husband tell me they don't even see it. I think it's just my overanalyzing them. They are definitely an upgrade for me! I went from an A (after nursing 3 kids) to a C. I don't have to wear a bra EVER and they look great, young, perky, natural. And they feel great! I don't even notice them most of the time. I do feel a different sensation when I do push ups or certain machines at the gym, but it's not painful at all - just odd. I also wanted to do one step, but my surgeon said my skin was too thin, or something like that. the expanders were not bad, and the exchange surgery was a breeze. The time before the surgery was definitely awful - I spent all my time browsing the internet looking at pictures of reconstruction and boobs - I can tell you that the other side is SOOOOO much better. You'll get there!!!

1 comment:

  1. Here's my 2 cents once again lol. I wanted the straight to implant procedure and my ps told me that he would do it BUT he would rather do this other kind, and darnit, why can't I remember the name of my implants!!! I'll look them up and let you know. But they are normal implants and they had a port on them and he filled them to the size we discussed....I WAS triple D before surgery and wanted NOTHING to do with that!!!...and said we could add saline if I wanted to be bigger or take some out if I wanted to be smaller. He said he made me a large C but I don't know cause I don't wear a bra ever either. I love love love my implants!!! He said with the straight to implant procedure, once he puts the implants in there, that's the size I am unless I want to have another surgery and pay for another set of implants. My kind let me play with the size a bit, even though I didn't. I had to have a very minor second surgery to have the ports permanently closed which was nothing at all. I think they were called expander implants or something like that. I didn't want to do the expanders after all I read on the internet, but don't take everything you read to heart because some of the pictures of mastectomy scars scared the heck out of me. My new boobs look so awesome. You can't even tell I had surgery. I am getting my nipple tattoo's after Christmas. I'm having a tattoo artist do them for $400!! Yikes on the price but she does an awesome job and they are better than cosmetic tattoo's, last much longer.
    Also, take it easy!!!!!! I am a clean freak when it comes to my house and I told myself that it would be fine until I got back to normal. I know there's dishes to be done and all that, but if I can have a messy/dirty house for 4-6 weeks, anyone can, believe me!!! that taught me to not be such a freak about everything being perfect in here. It was actually ok to have a mess! lol

    ReplyDelete