Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Auntie

I want to remember and so I journal...

Days before the surgery, Aunt Theresa was on my mind.  Weeks earlier, she had passed after a 4 year battle with ovarian cancer.  What cancer took from our family is still so vivid as I think about all of my mother's family gathering to be together at Aunt Theresa's funeral.

Theresa is the definition of "hard-worker" and "service".  She was always the first one up to clean the table and help with dishes when they came to visit...even when she was in the middle of chemo treatments.  She worked honestly at her humble employment.  She saved her money and on her modest income, was able to pay off a lovely home and take care of her disabled husband.  She had such a soft heart and was the first to tears when it was time to say goodbye.  Theresa is an amazing lady!  We miss her.

As I sat outside of the surgery OR room in my little bed with my blue cap on, I talked to Theresa...asking for her strength and support.  I know she was right in there beside me making sure everything was running smoothly.

That first very rough night, I prayed to my Heavenly Father for comfort.   I also took comfort from Theresa again.  I needed to feel her support and her immense strength.  A very strong woman... I felt her comfort and love that night.

I know that Theresa's experience helped me to make this very difficult decision.  I am grateful for her life and example.  We love you Theresa!

No comments:

Post a Comment